On-Grid Solar System
A grid-connection will allow you to save more money with solar panels through better efficiency rates, net metering, plus lower equipment and installation costs. You can save more money with net metering.
- Your solar panels will often generate more electricity than what you are capable of consuming. With net metering, homeowners can put this excess electricity onto the utility grid instead of storing it themselves with batteries.
- The utility grid is a virtual battery. The electric power grid is in many ways also a battery, without the need for maintenance or replacements, and with much better efficiency rates.
- In other words, more electricity (and more money) goes to waste with conventional battery systems. Additional perks of being grid-tied include access to backup power from the utility grid (in case your solar system stops generating electricity for one reason or another).
Off-Grid Solar System
To ensure access to electricity at all times, off-grid solar plants require battery storage and a backup generator.
- Off-grid solar plants can be cheaper than extending power lines in some remote regions.
- Power failures on the utility grid do not affect off-grid solar plants. Energy self-sufficiency is also a form of security.
- Power failures on the utility grid do not affect off-grid solar plants. On the flip side, batteries can only store a certain amount of energy, and during cloudy weather, being connected to the grid is actually where the security is. You would need to install a backup generator to be prepared for these kinds of situations.
Hybrid Solar System
Hybrid solar plants combine the best from grid-tied and off-grid solar plants.
- These solar plants can either be described as off-grid solar with utility backup power, or grid-tied solar with extra battery storage.
- Less expensive than off-grid solar plants. Hybrid solar Plants are less expensive than off-grid solar plants. Off-peak electricity from the utility company is cheaper than diesel.
- You don`t need a backup generator, and the capacity of your battery bank can be downsized.